Build Your Own Website
Every successful business has a website. It is very easy to build a website. Let me show you have to build a website for your new business in under 20 minutes.
Tools I Use in this Tutorial
What You Need to Complete the Setup
- SiteGround – This is the hosting service I recommend. I switched over to SG last year and their customer service and response times are FAR faster than their competitors.
- Screencast-O-Matic – I use SOM all the time. You can use the free version with a watermark for videos up to 15 minutes.
- 20 minutes
- A credit card
- URL name or idea
Set up Hosting - video below
- Go to SiteGround and select web hosting, get started.
- Pick the plan that’s right for you, and click “Get Started.” The Start Up Plan is the most affordable, and should be a big enough plan to last you a long time. It is $4/month for your first sign up, and it renews at $12/month after that.
- Choose service – choose “Get a new hosting account.”
- Enter domain – select “register a new domain.”
- Purchase Information – confirm the Plan is accurate.
- Location – enter your location.
- Period – Select the number of months you want to sign up for. One of the things I like about SiteGround is you can choose 12 months and get the lowest promo pricing. Other companies make you select 36 months to get the lowest pricing.
- Extra Services – you don’t need domain privacy or SG site scanner, but do your own research to see if you would prefer to have them.
- Payment Information – Your total order is listed here. If you signed up for. 12 months of the Get Started Plan and register a new domain, the total is under $65.
- Log into SiteGround.
- Click on ‘My Account.’
- Click on ‘cPanel.’
- If you purchased your domain through SiteGround skip to step 10.
- Select ‘Add on Domains.’
- Enter the domain name without http:// and without www.
- Pick a password.
- Click on ‘Add domain.’
- Go back to ‘cPanel.’
- Click on ‘WordPress Installer’ in the WordPress Tools section.
- Select the domain from the drop down, enter website name and tagline.
- Choose your username and password.
- Input admin email address.
- Make sure WordPress Starter is selected.
- Click on ‘Install.’
- Head over to your site by clicking on the link with ‘/wp-admin’ at the end of your URL. This will always be your log on page
Setting Up WordPress
- Once WordPress is installed click on the link to your site, and click on ‘start now.’
- Choose a theme.
- Choose the plug in options that work for your new site.
- Click on ‘install.’
- Go to the ‘dashboard.’
- From the dashboard you can create a page, a post, customize your site to reflect your new business.
- Next you can customize your new site.